Translate

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Follow-up to Not a Good Day

I wonder if this "not-so-good-day" was connected to the day that followed.

The next day, my aunt was lethargic and could barely keep her eyes open. At breakfast hand to mouth was not easy. Her grip on the fork was weak, fork dangling. After breakfast, she went to her recliner as usual and napped. She was in deep nap state at lunch and I decided to let her sleep. After consulting with my sister (retired nurse), I woke her and found her almost back to her normal state.

My sister enlightened me and told me that what I had witnessed was a T.I.A. (Transient Ishchemic Attack).   This is commonly referred to as a "mini-stroke." My sister told me that she has had them before. These states are short-lived and my aunt exhibited all the symptoms mentioned on the Mayo Clinic website.  These TIA are precursors to a major stroke, but do not predict when one will occur.

I will be on the look-out for a repeat of these two days. Is there a connection?

On a related medical issue, I have been in a state of stress, fearing another fall. To be more correct, it is not the fall that I fear, it is the inability to pick her up that bothers me. Today we received the mechanical lift device that I had requested, the Hoyer Lift.  With this device, I can easily pick her up from the floor and cary her to the chair of the bed. I am sure that she will not appreciate dangling as she will, but I will be smiling through the process.





Later.

Joe

1 comment:

  1. The lift is a good idea. No sense in you and your Tia both on the ground, her from the fall, you from throwing out your back. On some level I'm sure she knows that you are doing right by her, most people would have her in a home by now. Since you went on a mini-vacation it sounds like you have some respite from Tia. That is important to avoid burn out.

    Keep up the good work for your Tia.

    ReplyDelete