Translate

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Project Runway

I was in New York August 31, 2011. If this was to be my last trip, I wanted to pay homage to PR and search out the sites familar to those that watch the show.

Fashion District of New York
      This section of the city is all about clothes and fashion. If there is a center, I would say it was the "big button."


The side streets in this area are all about clothes. There are shops that sell only purses, only necklaces, only hats, and others that sell only things to make purses, necklaces, and hats. Of course there are clothings stores in abundance. Many have $5 and $10 racks on the sidewalk. Next time I hear Michael Kors say, "You can buy a dress like that anywhere in the city," I will better understand it.












Next to the big button is a bronze sculpture honoring the Jewish garment workers from the turn of the last century .






I saw that the man of today has the same focus, in the same posture, but may not be producing anything.







Across the street from the big button is
Parson's New School for Design


I wanted to go in and run through the halls, screaming for Tim and Heidi, but I thought all it would get me would be a trip to the Psych Ward at Bellvue Hospital.






Mood Designer Fabrics
Two blocks away and to the left you may find Mood Designer Fabrics. I say, "may" because there is nothing distinctive about the building. The logo we see on the show, is on the third floor of the building.

The building has an old-fashion elevator with an elevator operator. One gets out on the third floor and the doors open unto the store. No outside packages are allowed and neither are cameras.  You enter the store and face a wall of buttons and things.


The store is just as you see it on TV. It is overwhelming. You have to know fabric to be able to shop here.The picture above is from the the stores web site. Although the store is neat and orderly, it is not this neat.

I had seen a fabric online and I knew it was cotton and I remembered the print. There are many workers eager to help. For the most part, they all seem to be knowledgable, some more than others. I am led to a section of cotton prints. "Is it 100% or blended? Is it light, medium, or heavy cotton?" My answer was, "The only cotton I know is on a plant in the middle of a very hot field."

Someone takes me behind the checkout counter and suggests that I look for the fabric online. They would then be able to find it quickly. Although i did not find the fabric that I had originally seen, I was happy with my purchase and the Mood experience.

Bryant Park
On 5th Avenue, at 41st St. is the New York Public Library, in all its grandeur. It is certainly a place to visit. However, if you are a Project Runway fan, you have to walk around to the back side of the library to enjoy Bryant Park.


 It is a common misconception of New York City that it is a place devoid of gardens and trees. ON the contrary, there are many green spots in the city and the city is creating more of these oasis.





 I was in Bryant Park around the noon/ lunch hour. The place was full of follks taking a break from their offices spaces. There is a fancy restaurant at the back side of the library, if you want. There are also a number of vendors in the perimeter offering salads, hot dogs, pizza, coffees, etc. There were many folks who seemed to have brought their own lunch.
 The umbrellas and the chairs are on a first come first serve basis. You could also opt to sit or lay on the lawn. Yes, there were folks trying to get some tanning in the 80 degree weather.
The tents for the fashion shows are set up on the center lawn and on the concrete areas at either end of the park.  I find these tranquil places and am moved to linger a while longer. However, I know that my stay in New York is brief and there is much more to see.
Fashion District Related

     As I walked around the Fashion District and along 5th Avenue, with all its fancy stores, I sometimes see things that make me stop and say, "Huh???

One of those are the Orthodox Jewish men and the Muslim women in their traditional garb. I don't have anything against them, but I wonder what they are doing here, window shopping. The Jewish men always wear the same outfit. I don't think they stand in front of their closets and ask, "Which black suit will I wear today? What hat?"




The Muslim women were window shopping in the Fashion District. I wondered if they were thinking, "If only ..." and "what if."


I did not dare ask. I walked away and wondered.

I hope you enjoyed a trip through Project Runway Land


1 comment:

  1. We are jealous! When we go to NYC one of these days we want to do what you did. You didn't say, but did you remember to shout "Thank you Mood!"

    As for the Orthodox Jews and the Muslim women above I wondered about that too...what to wear today?

    ReplyDelete