Translate

Monday, April 16, 2012

ALOHA - Back again - Catching up


I could not believe that my last post was almost 4 months ago. Time flies when you pick your nose.

       Today's post is all about Hawaii. I had an amazing time there, thanks to my friends who were gracious enough to host me, feed, and tour me. Although I had been to the Island of Oahu several years ago, that trip was a "postcard" trip. Oahu and Honolulu is the where the tourists land and where many stay. The sight-seeing and island information is pre-packaged. My impressions of Hawaii were wonderful, but they became deep and meaningful after this last trip to the Big Island.

       I will not post all the picture I took on my trip. My memories of each image are still vivid and if you come by the house and enjoy a cocktail or two I will tell you all about it. Here is just a sample.

Although I don't get any commission from Hawaiian Airlines, I associate this image with the Islands - the colors, the hibiscus in the hair, and the beautiful people.


Without lava, there would be no Hawaiian Islands. You encounter it on the beaches of the island, the massive lava fields, and of course the active "Caldera," with it billowing plumes of steam.





What is amazing is that when you have lava, and add many years, and bucketful of rain, you get such beautiful vegetation. On the Hilo side of the the Big Island, the annual rainfall is over 100 inches.




I am trying to follow my friend's example and grow pineapples in my yard - in Southtexas. This plant was in the front yard of their house in Pahoa. Although my plant has not sprouted any fruit, it continues to be green and has not died - a good sign of things to come.



The "Ttraveller Palm" was fascinating. It is supposed to grow in one direction, telling lost travellers their compass direction. Since I did not know which direction was which, the palm was not much help to me.


 The "taro plant" is the source of poy. I continued to see these plants as "elephant ear plants"
Another of my favorite plants was the "fern tree." The branches are gigantic and resemble other species of fern, but there is a "tree trunk" in the middle.

The history and mythology of Hawaii is something that most visitors to the Islands do not hear about. I do not remember hearing anything about it on my first trip. I saw a variety of dancers and performers thinking all were Hawaiian, not knowing that I was seeing Fiji and Samoan. From this trip I walked away with an appreciation and an interest in the history of Hawaii.

Pele















                                                                                City of Refuge




Rainbow Falls
Plantation House




Last, and certainly not least are the indescribable vistas. My camera did not do these justice.












ALOHA!

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures! We had a great time with you too. The "real" Hawai`i is the Big Island where the culture is not just a post card but a way of life!

    ReplyDelete