Translate

Monday, April 16, 2012

Family Tree

I began my research into the family roots last year. I posted about my Aunt Bea and the nuclear family. I have also mentioned the story about my grandfather and finding my grandmother's tomb in Matehuala. So far I have 185 names on the tree, most verified through official documents. The oldest date is 1835 - that of my great-great-grandfather on my mothers side. I have one generation older than that on my maternal grandmother's side, but I have not been able to verify the data.

                                                                     What is new to me?

Who are the Monterrey Folks?

     Those folks in Monterrey (the well-to-do), with whom I stay on occasion, I knew were related, but I did not know how. Now I know that they are 3rd cousins. My grandmother's mother and his grandfather's mother were sisters. These are Carlos and Javier.


         Javier                                                                             Carlos



Missed Opportunity
My friends in the poor colonia in Monterrey told me that there was a lady in the neighborhood that was always asking about my Aunt Bea and that she had a family resemblance. I was told where she lived and I went a-knocking.

The moment I saw the house, I knew that I had been there as a child. The woman's name was Aurelia Villanueva, unmarried. Her father and my paternal grandmother were siblings. Aurelia ((80) was not home when I went looking for her. She was hospitalized and was due to be released in a few days. I was greeted by the youngest of the sisters, who told me that Aurelia was indeed the one to talk to. She knew all of the family history. I was scheduled to return home the next day. I promised to return on my next trip.
The next time I went looking for Aurelia I learned that she had died 2 week prior.

This side of the family continues shrouded in darkness, but I continue to look for the light switch.


                                                                            A new cousin

     My last visit to the relatives was in December. The newly discovered Vidales cousins - their father and my father would have been cousins - presented the youngest brother, Eduardo. My sister and I think he bears a strong resemblance to my father.
Eduardo                                        my father                                                       my grandfather

 

I also saw a resemblance between Eduardo's sister and one of my aunts. I am wondering if Eduardo's grandfather and my grandfather married sisters.

The search continues.


1 comment: