Translate

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Genealogy Update

Weslaco Cemetery Family Plots location



1. Prajedis Alanis Elizondo
2. Mateo Elizondo
3. Eulalio Delgado and Romana Elizondo Delgado
4.Venancio Elizondo
5. Beto Garza and Pancha Rodriguez Garza
6. Domingo Elizondo, Maria Vasquez Elizondo, and Ernestina Elizondo
7. Abundio Vallejo and Paula Elizondo Vallejo
8. Reymunda Rodriguez Zambrano and Francisco Zambrano
9. Maria Paula Lugo Delgado
10. Cirila Elizondo Rodriguez
(Delgado = maternal grandfather; Elizondo = maternal grandmother;
Lugo= maternal great grandmother
_____________________________________________________________


I continue to search for the family's past. I have had more success with the folks on my mother's side. Most of them migrated to the USA when Mexico was in the midst of their 1910 revolution.

Maria Lugo Delgado:
I found the grave of my grandfather's mother - Maria Lugo Delgado - here at the Weslaco cemetery. She died in 1952. This past week I met a 2nd or 3rd cousin, also a Lugo, but I do not know the exact connection. I think his grandfather and Maria were siblings. He is 81 and did not have much to share. Hopefully something will pop up in  his memory.



Grandmother's Father:  I also found the grave of my grandmother's (maternal) father. He was Benancio Elizondo and died in 1926. His wife lived another 20 years here in Weslaco. In the picture below, I have determined that the dead man is Benancio.




Maria Elizondo:




Maria Elizondo was married to my grandmother's brother. She lived to the age of 99. She died in Chicago, but was buried in Weslaco. She died in 2001 and the city did not have any record of her death or burial site. The guy at the city office suggested I ask the funeral home to see if they had any information. The funeral home offered that she was buried with her son. I DID NOT KNOW SHE HAD A SON.  I only knew their daughter. The child lived less than a month.                         I continued to bug the folks at City Hall and ultimately found that when Maria died, and her daughter Ernestine was making arrangements, they mistakenly added the name of her daughter Ernestine, as the deceased, rather than Maria. I found the grave site of her son and am waiting for the city to use their "radar/ x-ray" machine to determine that there is more than one buried in the same location.

Bartolo Delgado:
     Another great find was the death registry of my grandfather's grandfather, in Mexico. I was not looking specifically for him. I was looking for records of my grandfather's father. I do not know when or where he died.
This find came from the LDS website, Family Search.org. It was time consuming to go page by page.  Bartolo was born in 1835 and died in 1910.

Grandfather's siblings:
      I only knew of my paternal grandfather's 2 siblings, who lived in the area and I knew them both. As I am looking for my grandfather's father, I find that he had three sibling die in one year, 4 years before his birth. The children were 5 months, 2 and 4 years old. The cause of death was "cough," and "measles." This tragic year was 1897. My grandfather was born in 1901. I am guessing that my grandfather's father died between 1897 and 1910, when Bartolo died. Soon after the family was in Texas.

    My father's family continues to hide in the record books. Beyond, him and his sisters, I have not found record of any of his family. I know that his mother had 5 sisters, and 2 stepbrothers, and his grandmother. This family will be the focus of my next trip to Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment