Translate

Saturday, June 1, 2013

June 1, 2013

It has been a while since my last post and I am finally getting to do another. This first one is a miscellany of pictures.

 The box was in the carport waiting to be dumped. Simon may have been wishing for a trip to the unknown or was simply sleepy. He used it for 2 days. Simon is old and spends most of his time sleeping.
 I don't know the name of the birds with the orange wings, but they showed up one morning at the feeder. There were up to 20 at one time. The much smaller sparrows did not stand a chance at feeding. They disappeared as quickly as they appeared.
I had been thinking of getting rid of this stump, as it is by the driveway and "in the way." However the thought of hacking, smashing, and sawing motivated me to think to re-purpose. A succulent and a periwinkle now call it home. I was surprised to read that the periwinkle is an "invasive" species. I have it all around because it is heat tolerant and colorful. I welcome the invasion of color.

This flat leaf cactus has had a good blooming year. You have to be an early riser to enjoy the blooms. Once the sun hit them, they are gone.

 The Hackberry tree is very common in this part of Texas. They are tall, provide plentiful shade and produce a small berry that attracts the Mexican parrots, squirrels, and other birds. However, with age, the trees tend to rot from the center and weaken.

This was the latest casualty. The strong southerly winds broke this large branch and luckily there were no pedestrians at the time.




This is the scene after the tree removal guys left.
This is a picture of the tree in 1952 when they were planted. My sister was 13 months old.


The other tree removed was over the back fence. With the start of hurricane season, I did not want to chance it falling over the fence and damaging it. 




Be sure to check out the next installment of this blog, when we will explore the world of "projects."

No comments:

Post a Comment